Friday, March 30, 2012

Raspberry PI and QEMU

Yes my last post was a bit negative but I was just a little peeved at the rubbish that some people were going on and on and on, about. Clearly they have not been involved in any R&D or product development themselves.

As you might have gathered I have decided on purchasing a Raspberry PI. Actually ordered it on the 29 of Feb (The day the music servers died) and No I'm not annoyed or surprised (Impatient maybe)  that it will be at lease another 3 weeks before another I have it in my hot little hands.
Hey it took me120 days to get a PSU PCB for a monitor from China !
Anyhow I'm spending the time learning and relearning the different versions on Linux on the 3 SD images available for the RPi. To do this QEMU is required which require Linux to run and one of the images. It can be run in Virtual Box on a Windows PC but it adds one more thing to learn if your are not already familiar with it. Three is a .ova file (Virtual Box Machine Archive) available with Debian, QEMU and a RPI image all bundled together but I had less success than with my own attempt at emulating in an emulator.
My recommendation would be to install Ubuntu on a spare PC or on a partition of your existing windows PC (Don't use the silly windows install or the latest Ubuntu they will just cause you trouble).
Then visit the RPi forum and follow info provided by jojopi and cnxsoft.
cnxsoft's has fantastic tutorials on own blog.This one in particular is very good. NOTE: Like exam paper read it all before you start he has options and pre-prepared files that save you compiling.{Bottom of the page}

OR you can go crazy following these instructions. http://raspi.springnote.com/pages/8234994

On a bit of a tangent I found some SD cards with WiFi !
They have unfortunate names like "Flucard Pro" and "Eye-Fi" both have potential, being available in the recommended size for the RPi. This adds WiFi without using an USB port very handy in particular for the "A" board when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment